||First edition ?
||Copenhagen: Hansen, n.d.(ca.1893/4?). Plate 11193.
PDF typeset by New Notations
Arrangements and Transcriptions
Genrebillede - Genre Painting (No.1)
For Horn, Trumpet and Euphonium (Messerschmidt)
||Songs and Verses by J.P. Jacobsen
||Viser og Vers af J.P. Jacobsen
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||Op.6 ; CNW Coll. 2
|I-Catalogue NumberI-Cat. No.
- 1. Genrebillede - Genre Painting (D-flat major)
- 2. Seraferne - The Seraphim (B major)
- 3. Silkesko over gylden Læst! - Silken shoe over golden last! (G major)
- 4. Det bødes der for i lange Aar - You suffer throughout an age of pain (C-sharp minor)
- 5. Vise af "Mogens" - Lay from 'Mogens' (B-flat major)
- Pagen højt paa Taarnet sad
- Seraferne har rullet bort de klare Stjerner og foldet Mørket... (rec.)
- Silkesko over gylden læst! Jeg har mig en Jomfru fæst!
- Det bødes der for i lange Aar som kun var en stakket Glæde (CNW 357)
- Havde jeg, o havde jeg en Dattersøn
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1895 May 4
||Jens Peter Jacobsen (1847-1885)
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
||Det bødes der for i lange Aar, CNW 357
Songs and Verses was Nielsen's second collection of songs to texts by J.P. Jacobsen. It was published in 1893, one year after the first one. The exact time of composition cannot be established; that is, whether the collection took place concurrently with the first collection or only after the publication of Opus 4 in 1892. Probably composed around 1891 according to Reynolds, "Carl Nielsen's Voice: His Songs in Context", p.64 which gives 1891 for composition date for both sets. Publication date of 1893 and date of premiere from Reynolds also (though publisher not specified.) 2nd song is with narrator.
A German selection with pieces from Opp. 4 & 6 was published in 1895 according to HMB.