See my typeset work here.
See just my madrigal settings here.
Goal: No goals for 2018. Just setting things as they occur to me.
- Comparative madrigals! Multiple settings of the same text by madrigal composers of different periods.
- (2020-01-??) 500 madrigals!
- (2018-09-26) 1,100 pieces!
- (2018-09-16) After 5 years of work, finished Willaert's Musica Nova madrigals!
- (2018-06-23) Finally got my 1000 pieces milestone.
- After doing no work from Nov 2016-July 2017, I've jumped back strongly into typesetting. Working on early viol consort music.
- (2016-09-01) 400 madrigals! Pretty close to finishing the Willaert Musica Nova, too.
- (2016-08-29) 930. 70 pieces left to go for year, can probably do it. Focusing on serious stuff. Not gonna transcribe small things to get to goal faster.
- (2016-06-03) 900! 60% through goal, plenty of time to reach year's goal.
- (2016-04-13) 850! 40% through 2016 goal, making good time.
- (2016-03-05) 800! Plus 20% of the way for my 2016 goal.
- (2015-12-31) 749 distinct pieces! Missed goal by 1. 15 hour shift involving 7 hr maintenance window screwed me up.
- (2015-10-15) 700 distinct pieces wooooo!
- (2015-08-30) 650 distinct pieces!
- (2015-07-11) 300 madrigal settings! Half of total output!
- (2015-07-06) 600 distinct pieces! Celebrated with a birthday madrigal by Marenzio for #600.
- (2015-06-02) 550 distinct uploads (or really, pages of pieces, because some are multiple parts)
- (2015-05-25) 250 madrigal settings! (at moment, several aren't tagged yet)
- (2014-12-21) 500 distinct uploads!! Woo woo!
- (2014-12-21) 200 madrigal settings! Just noticed!
- (2014-11-25) 450 pages! [burst of typesetting after getting laid off from Verizon. Started at Cisco first week of December]
- (2013-11-26) 400 pages of uploads!
- (2013-09-20) 350 separate pages of uploads
- (2013-08-10) 300 separate, distinct pages of stuff uploaded.
- (2013-05-23) 200 distinct pages of uploads
- (2013-04-24) 100 uploads total (most of the work done in past years)
Works in progress
Some stuff I may get back to:
- The 1577 bicinia publication by Lasso (50% uploaded--all the vocal pieces and one of the untexted)
- The First Book of Canzonets to two voyces by Thomas Morley (20% done)
- Il primo libro della musica a due voci (Gastoldi) (80% done, 60% uploaded)
- Il terzo libro de varie sonate di Salamon Rossi hebreo (40% uploaded)
- Canzoni per Sonare con ogni sorte di stromenti (Raverii) (40% uploaded--all 4 parts completed 2013-09-12)
- A special book, or books, of madrigal settings of from Orlando Furioso (about 18 pieces uploaded so far--see them in Category:Ariosto, Lodovico. Almost all the madrigals are my work.). I hope to make some clip art from the original 1535 edition to accompany the scores.
- Whatever else catches my fancy from day to day
Works partially typeset:
- Canti C (about 50% done, 40% uploaded)
- Canti B (about 65% done, 50% uploaded)
- Consort songs from the Dow partbooks (all the texted Byrd pieces done, 19 pieces uploaded)
- Playford's 1684 Division Violin (about 80% done--who knows if I'll ever get back to this?)
- Canzone Villanesche alla Napolitana di Adriano Willaert (90% done)
Works 100% completed
- Musica Nova madrigals by Adrian Willaert (just the second half of collection. I've only done a few of the motets)
- Madrigali a 4 voci, libro primo by Luca Marenzio (100% DONE! fancy cover edition uploaded)
- Canzoni da Sonare a quattro et otto voci di Floriano Canale (100 % DONE! with fancy cover, AND with clip art in the blank parts, from a 1535 source, after a friend helped me figure out the gimp! 2013-07-16)
- Libro primo de canzoni da sonare a quattro voci di Florentio Maschera (100% DONE! With fancy cover!)
- Opera nova de Balli by Francesco Bendusi (100% DONE! with a fancy cover sheet on each part!)
- Giaches de Wert's L'Ottavo Libro de madrigali a 5! (december 2014)
- Giaches de Wert's Il nono libro de madrigali a 5 et 6! (september 2018)
- Giaches de Wert's Il settimo libro de madrigali a 5! (september 2018)
- Gabrieli's Il primo libro de madrigali a 3 (November 2014)
- Luca Marenzio's Il primo libro de madrigali a 5 (december 2014)
- Luca Marenzio's Il seconda libro de madrigali a 5 (december 2014)
- Canzonettes or Little Short Songs to three voyces by Thomas Morley (100% DONE!)
Errors I know exist, which I need to fix.
- got date (decade) wrong on Marenzio's il terzo libro de madrigali a 6
- Vincenzo Ruffo la gamba: source has a typo (Vapriccio)
- Ferrabosco Susanna Fayre: parts use complete-score include file
- Banchiera: Canzon sesta change spelling of title
- Gastoldi 1598 duos mistakenly list Venice as publication location rather than Milan
- Canti C 007 - tritone leap in bass (maybe 0005, but I think 007--came across it while playing in ensemble)
- Raverii: tenor parts of most pieces say "part 3 or 4" instead of "part 3 of 4"
- Morley 3 parts, #17, final note (F) in bassus is octave too high
- Fix colored parts away from 2/3 in C time to 2. 4
- Vaghi boschetti by de wert: correct syllable breakup of Cedri~et (have: Ced -- ri~et)
- Marenzio #11: fix spelling of upload file (filename has #10's name)
- Susanna Fayre by Ferrabosco doesn't credit Ferrabosco in the music. Also, need to modernize spelling.
- Tasso's name spelled in a5 wert pieces.
- Gabrieli's name spelled Gabrielli in some piece.
What is Hawthorne Music?
An in-joke, mostly. The person who introduced me to the viola da gamba later became my landlord. She lives on Hawthorne Street in Dallas, TX, in an up-stairs/downstairs duplex, and owns both. The downstairs apartment had a vacancy, and I moved in. Two other mutual friends referred to this arrangement as something like "The Hawthorne Early Music Center of Dallas". I adopted it has the publishing house for my music, which is roughly based on the look-and-feel of the late George Hunter's editions (well-known in the viol community) published under Northwood Music (now owned Charlie Ogle). None of mine have been physically published yet, but I have plans for the future...
Links to personal interests
My Early music flickr pages.
Copyright Notice of Intent
Upon my death, I wish all copyrights on any creative work I've made to be dissolved, and all my works to enter the public domain. This includes all work done for IMSLP.