Record logo used on discs of their songs
Typical British Music Hall song cover (1891)
Typical British Music Hall song cover (1906)
Typical Musical Monologue cover (1907)
Typical British Music Hall song cover (1908)
Typical British Music Hall song cover (1916)
Typical British Music Hall song cover (1931)
Reynolds & Co. was a famous London publisher of sheet music from 1889 until 1960. They published a wide range of works, from elaborate pianoforte solos to popular music hall songs.
Their main field was music hall songs, composed by world-famous music hall entertainers like Albert Chevalier and George Grossmith. They also had a huge library of songs by society entertainers such as Ernest Hastings, Tom Clare and Harold Montague.
They enjoyed a very famous lifespan, without any decline when the radio age came along in the 1920s. During that period they thrived on publishing compilations of radio and other songs. They also continued with their society entertainer songs. These included Norman Long, Ernest Longstaffe and the later works of Frank Leo and Nelson Jackson.
Reynolds & Co. published until 1960, when they were sold to Keith Prowse. They are listed as the copyright holder to Reynolds published songs featured in Peter Gammond's Best Music Hall and Variety Songs (1972). The Keith Prowse name also appears on the copyright notice in modern reprintings of Albert Chevalier songs, usually found in modern Music Hall compilations. Keith Prowse was sold to EMI in 1969, and then rights for the few remaining copyrighted music hall songs were transferred to Sony/EMI, after EMI folded in 2012. The song rights remain there today.
- "Humorous Songs"
- "Humorous Duets"
- "Musical Monologues" (Recitations with Pianoforte Accompaniment)
- "Humorous Sketches"
- "Part Songs"
Imprints, Addresses, Agencies
- 13 Berners Street. W. London (1890-1913)
- 62A Berners Street. W. London. (1914-1930)
- 44 Berners Street. W. London (1930-1939)
- 19 Nassau Street. W. London (1940-1960)
- R & Co. 001-251 (1889-1893)
- R & Co. 252-494 (1893-1898)
- R & Co. 495-991 (1898-1902)
- R & Co. 992-1235 (1902-1906)
- R & Co. 1235-1416 (1906-1910)
- R & Co. 1500-1843 (1910-1916)
- R & Co. 1843-2000 (1916-1920)
- R & Co. 2000-2298 (1920-1923)
- R & Co. 2298-2420 (1923-1926)
- R & Co. 2420-2629 (1926-1930)
- R & Co. 2629-2774 (1930-1933)
- R & Co. 2774-3090 (1933-1947)
- R & Co. 3090-3437 (1947-1951)
- R & Co. 3437+ (1951-1960)
|Plate #||Full Plate||Composer||Work||IMSLP #||Full Year||Year|
- COPAC (British Library)
- Oxford Bodleian Library
- Yale Archives (Medical History Library)
- British Music Hall Society scans
- Miscellaneous electronic scans
- Personal copies