typical cover and partial list ca.1900
This British series, similar to Novello's Octavo Anthems, started in 1889. The items were all sacred choral works, both accompanied and unaccompanied.
The composers were mainly contemporary British, for example: Edward C. Bairstow and Barnby, but there were some foreign composers such as Bach, and many Renaissance works by composers such as Gibbons and Tye.
Arrangers and Editors
- 1. God, Who is Rich in Mercy (Garrett, George Mursell)
- 2. When My Soul Fainted within Me (Bridge, Frederick)
- 3. Praised be the Lord daily, Op.106 (Calkin, John Baptiste)
- 8. I Will Magnify Thee (Luard-Selby, Bertram)
- 12. Rejoice Greatly (Woodward, Herbert Hall)
- 30. Beloved, if God so loves us. / Barnby, Joseph
- 31. The Lord is the true God. / Barnby, Joseph
- 44. O Ye that Love the Lord (Coleridge-Taylor, Samuel)
- 74. O King, and Desire of all Nations (Stainer, John)
- 114. Give Rest, O Christ (Parratt, Walter)
- 125. Blessed Be Thou, O Lord God (Lloyd, Charles Harford)
- 137. Lift up the everlasting Gates.. / Tye, Christopher 1497?-1572.]
- 138. O Lord, increase my faith / Orlando Gibbons.
- 163. How Still and Peaceful is the Grave (Tye, Christopher)
- 173. Come ye Blessed. For Apostles, Martyrs, / Barnby, Joseph 1838-1896
- 174. O praise the Lord. St. Michael and All Angels,/ Barnby, Joseph 1838-189.
- 204. Beside Thy Cradle here I stand : choral from "The Christmas Oratorio" / Johann Sebastian Bach.
- 211. Thou didst turn Thy Face from me Attwood, Thomas 1765-1838.
- 225. O most merciful! / Bullock, Ernest
- 245. How far is it to Bethlehem? (Shaw, Geoffrey Turton)
- 262. O God, Unseen Yet Ever Near (Coleman, Henry)
- 270. The Souls of the Righteous (Marchant, Stanley)