Le Clerc


  • Jean-Pantaléon Le Clerc

The story of this French publishing concern appears to commence in 1728 when Jean-Pantaléon Le Clerc (ca.1694-ca.1760), who from 1720 was one of Louis XV's 24 Violons ordinaires de la Chambre de Roi, began operations as a "marchand de musique" (a music store). The first item known to be offered for sale at his shop was a volume of music by Rebel (which was published by the composer under his own royal license). Jean Le Clerc's first Royal license to publish and print music was issued only in 1730, with a renewal in 1737. The address at Rue du Roule, à la Croix d'Or seems to have been in fairly continuous use from 1728 all the way until 1760, the last year his name appears in the roster of the 24 Violons. In June of 1751 Le Clerc retired and handed over the music shop to his daughter Anne-Cécile on her marriage to the organist Claude Vernadé. She continued the business under the name of Le Clerc and added the imprints of Le Clerc-Vernadé and Vernadé on tworks sold between 1751 and 1758, the year La Chevardière took over the premises from Mme. Vernadé.

  • Charles-Nicolas Le Clerc

Charles-Nicolas (1697-1774) was the younger brother of Jean-Pantaléon. He was also a violinist whose records first appear in the records of the orchestra of the Opéra (Académie de Musique) from 1729 to 1750. His name also appears in the roster of the 24 Violons ordinaires de la Chambre de Roi from 1732 to 1760. In contrast to his older brother, Charles-Nicolas seems to have concentrated more on the publication of new works, with the first Royal privilege issued in 1736 and the final one in 1765. His own shop, which sold only those works actually engraved and printed by him was located at in the rue St-Honoré. Nearly all items in his fairly extensive catalogue were also sold at the store of his older brother up until its acquisition by La Chevardière in 1758. Le Clerc cadet published mainly instrumental works until 1760. After this date he seems to have taken up some of the agency sales formerly handled by his older brother. In December of 1774, his widow held a sale of the music plates from his publishing operation, most of which were sold to the Bureau de Journal de Musique.

Imprints, Addresses, Agencies

  • Le Clerc marchand
Usually indicated as "Le Clerc marchand" or simply "Le Clerc" (usually associated with "Mme. Boivin" from 1733-53), as "Le Clerc-Vernadé" and "Vernadé" (1751-58).
  • Le Clerc cadet
Often indicated as simply "Le Clerc", also as "Le Clerc le cadet" (1736-1774). The imprint sometimes appears in combination with that of his older brother.